Welcome to Latah County!
Latah County is named for Latah Creek and is the only county in Idaho created by an act of Congress. The act brought to fruition a long struggle to create the county (divided from Nez Perce County) and establish Moscow as the county seat. The University of Idaho was located a year later at Moscow, in 1889. In the 1870's settlers began taking up the rich land of the Palouse country. A mail route between Moscow and Lewiston was established in 1872 and the first railroad, the Northern Pacific, reached Moscow in 1885. The Weyerhauser intersts built a lumber mill at Potlatch in the early 1900's. Clays of economic importance are found near Bovil. . . "Idaho Almanac," 1977.
Latah is derived from the Nez Perce words "Lah" that means the place of pine trees, and "Toh" sestle, because the Indians found stones here suitable for pulverizing camas roots and shade under the pine trees in which to work.
Latah County is located in the panhandle of Idaho along the
Washington border. Cities include: Bovill, Deary, Genesee, Juliaetta,
Kendrick, Moscow, Onaway, Potlatch, Princeton, Troy and other
P.O. Box 8068
Moscow, ID 83843
Phone: (208) 883-2249
Fax: (208) 883-7203
Search Latah County
|site search by freefind|
We would like to thank Jill Nock for all the work she did on this site.
Updated November 2014
Copyright © 2006 - idgenweb. All Rights Reserved.
The IDGenWeb Project is a genealogical and resource collection for the state of Idaho and its counties.